|This photo was taken from the hillside (known as Wren's Nest in earlier times) along the road leading south-east toward Ferryland. The three adjacent houses (right foreground), located in the area known as The Point, belonged to the O'Toole's brothers. The shoreline below these houses was part of the pre 1800 Nashes Plantation. This plantation later became of the former "rooms" of the Morry and Sweetland fishing enterprises which were established along the shoreline in the 1800s. The two story house (over the left side of the schooner's masts) was sold to Fred Costello by Peter Morry, who moved to British Colombia about 1900. The other properties along the perimeter of The Beach were owned by various members of the Power family. The small house at the upper right edge of the photo still stands today as a Registered Heritage Structure referred to as The Mary Boland House. It is believed that the house was built by John Power (Mary's father) about 1900.|
The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2022)
Page Last Updated: Sunday, December 20, 2020 - 05:02:10 PM - EST